Broadway shows have always been an association of excitement, glamour, and wonder. The captivating performances, star-studded casts, and mesmerizing sets continue to attract theater enthusiasts from all across the globe. While the experience is undoubtedly worth every cent, ticket prices can sometimes make you think twice about attending.
If you’re an ardent fan of Broadway shows and looking for ways to snag show tickets at a reasonable price, here’s an insider’s guide to getting some great deals.
1. Lottery Tickets: A large number of Broadway shows, both popular and low-key ones, offer day-of-show lottery tickets. Depending upon the show, these can be as little as $10-$40, which makes them significantly cheaper than most other ways to see big-ticket performances. Moreover, the main producers or official sites of the shows generally announce these lotteries.
2. Rush Tickets: Rush tickets are another way to snag a good deal. They are sold on the same day of the show and are usually available when the box office opens or a few hours before the show starts. You might have to queue early in the morning to secure these tickets, but the low prices make the effort worthwhile.
3. Online Discount Tickets: A plethora of websites offer discounted Broadway show tickets. Sites like Playbill, TheaterMania and BroadwayBox often offer discounts ranging from 15% to 50% on a wide variety of shows.
4. TKTS Discount Booths: For same-day and next-day tickets, the TKTS Discount Booths operated by the Theatre Development Fund are a great choice. There are multiple locations in New York, and they offer tickets at up to 50% off regular prices.
5. Off-Peak Shows: Opting for a matinee or a weekday performance can also mean significantly lower costs. These shows often have a lower demand, which means cheaper tickets.
6. Ticket Packages or Subscriptions: Many theaters offer season tickets or ticket packages which can save you a lot of money if you’re an avid theater-goer. These packages often enroll you in a loyalty program, which can equate to future discounts and benefits.
7. Student, Senior, or Military Discounts: Certain theaters offer special discounts for students, seniors, and military personnel. Always, ask the box office if such discounts are available when purchasing tickets.
8. Group Sales: If you’re planning to attend with a group, group sales can offer notable savings. Many shows have group rates which can knock off a significant portion of the ticket price. The concept is simple – the more people in the group, the bigger the discount.
9. Standing Room Only Tickets (SRO): If you don’t mind standing, SRO tickets can be a real bargain. While these can mean a less comfortable viewing experience, the savings can be considerable.
10. Resale Websites: Sites like StubHub or VividSeats might provide discounted tickets, especially closer to the performance date. But do be aware that these sites also come with a buyer beware warning, as not every listing will be a good deal.
Getting a great deal on Broadway tickets does require a bit of persistence, research, and sometimes, good timing. But with these tips up your sleeve, you are definitely closer to watching your favorite show without burning a hole in your pocket. Remember, a bit of savvy shopping can make the dream of experiencing the magic of Broadway a reality!